Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -CapitalTrack
Oliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:25:26
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Oliver James Montgomeryagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (619)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- See Michael Jackson’s Sons Blanket and Prince in New Jackson Family Photo
- Water conservation measures announced for Grand Canyon National Park
- Burning Man exodus: Hours-long traffic jam stalls festival-goers finally able to leave
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Cozy images of plush toys and blankets counter messaging on safe infant sleep
- Priscilla Presley says Elvis 'respected the fact that I was only 14 years old' when they met
- New Commanders ownership has reignited the debate over the NFL team’s old name
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- 'Friday Night Lights' author Buzz Bissinger is an unlikely hero in book-ban fight
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Linda Evangelista reveals 2018 breast cancer diagnosis: 'I have one foot in the grave'
- Beyoncé shines bright among Hollywood stars during Renaissance concert tour stop in Los Angeles
- Pier collapses into lake on Wisconsin college campus, 1 hospitalized, 20 others slightly injured
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin
- Owner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company
- As sports betting spikes, help for problem gamblers expands in some states
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
America’s small towns are disbanding police forces, citing hiring woes. It’s not all bad
3 rescued from Coral Sea after multiple shark attacks damaged inflatable catamaran
Ernest Hemingway survived two plane crashes. His letter from it just sold for $237,055
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Biden's new student debt repayment plan has 4 million signups. Here's how to enroll in SAVE.
Longtime ESPN reporter, NFL insider Chris Mortensen reveals he has retired from TV network
Helicopter and small plane collide midair in Alaska national park, injuring 1 person